Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Musings of a Laptopless Idiot

This post is inspired by the title given to one of the chit chats I was having with my friends while I am here in China and he is sitting all comfy in India.

For the unknown first the background. I had been planning to buy a laptop since the 5th semester of my graduate study. To go more into details, the thing was I had initially planned to get a desktop for myself so that i could do some programming and stuff (this is the original intended purpose of buying one by every engineering grad student in India, but it is mainly used to watch graphics of all kinds - games, movies etc. and generally never programming)But my dad had a better idea why not get a laptop. It will be less of a burden and it could sit at home once my grads were over because the PC at home was getting old and was just counting its days (it somehow managed to survive for two more years was a miracle btw). But then I had another brilliant flash of mind why not get two desktops one at home and another at college. It would cost the same as a single laptop and I could get better configurations at both the places. t so happened that I bought one for home but never got around to buying another one at college because in both the years my room mates had a desktop and my yearning for the laptop had gotten stronger after the initial relunctance. Anyways soon after my grads I joined the company for which I was campus selected. Have a small post about that. As I was not happy with the BU I was put into I again started pursuing my dream of finally owning a laptop and doing some wonderful programming stuff so that I could move away to development from testing. Many inquiries were made to know the least price for the best performing machines of different vendors so one could be chosen. But the newer technology just kept coming in and decision to buy one getting postponed. My friend had started ridculing me and had predicted that I will never be buying and owning any laptop. My owning a laptop bought by my own salary was as distant a dream for me as him getting a girl friend :-)
So I had by now given up all my yearnings for the laptop and anyways two of my room mates had it and another one a desktop, so a need was never felt in the coming months after that. Add to it that the project kept me involved (prior to me having these room mates (ones owning the laptops) or my room mate buying the desktop) with little time for something else (had forgone my habbit of reading too at that time). So I was all happy and not thinking of buying one until the next millenium, when my company presented me with an onsite opporyunity. Since I was the lone person from the team going and none for company with me in a foreign place my yearnings for laptop had returned. Thought that if no one in the alien land then atleas my laptop will give me company. Again made inquiries to get the least price for the best performing machines of different vendors so one could be chosen. But again none was bought. So here I sit in my office cubicle, typing away using the office PC, using the internet bandwidth allocated for better purposes writing the MUSINGS OF A LAPOTOPLESS IDIOT.

But you never know when the less can become more. Although the LAPTOPMORE term will be downright stupid.

5 comments:

Badri said...

the yearning-for-laptop stage is now supplanted by earning-for-laptop stage I guess!
Could have been a much lengthier post as I have to get back to my project testing now pretty sooner.

Anonymous said...

ka re chore ...kabhi to tanik dhang ka kaam kar liya karo...
btw ur yeaqrnings seems to have gotten far than mile to put smile ..he he ..seems u r following moore's law..so i guess the day that law will b dead u will owe one lappy for sure!! ALL THE BEST!!

Anonymous said...

IS THIS BLOG ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett said...

yes its alive but in hibernation... don't worry a new post will be out soon!!!

Anonymous said...

waiting...waiting n waiting...
btw how dare u didn't blogrolled me yet...n
u never come to my place..u better do it soon..i want ur full attendance ur majesty..with ur comments ;)